Monday, August 4, 2014

DIY: Paint That Print

Since moving into my apartment in mid-May, one area I've seriously been neglecting is putting things on the walls. It's one of those things I keep saying I know I need to do, but I just haven't gotten around to making any significant (or even insignificant) progress.

Finally, I decided to take one small step forward. I'm planning to do a gallery wall of sorts above my couch, but of course have not yet purchased any art to go there. A few weeks ago, I found this print that I really liked in the Kentucky for Kentucky shop. I have a soft spot for Kentucky and for good typography, so of course I wanted it. Problem(s): I didn't want to spend money and I would rather have it on canvas than as a print. Solution: I recently found some canvases while cleaning out things at my mom's house, so I decided to paint it myself.


The outlines of the jug were done with some assistance from a ruler. Everything else was freehand. Before even touching a paintbrush, I outlined everything in pencil.



I was still pretty concerned about messing up my lines, so I followed that by outlining everything in black Sharpie. It would have been better if my Sharpie wasn't running out of ink, but these outlines were still incredibly helpful once I got to the painting step.



After outlining everything, I finally got to painting. I just used cheap black acrylic paint and a small paintbrush - nothing fancy. I actually did the painting while watching the West Wing (Sam Seaborn, anyone?) Two episodes later, BOOM. ART.


I am actually super happy with how this turned out. It is currently living on a table just propped up against the wall, but it's coming soon to a gallery wall near you. 

What else should I put on my wall? HELP!


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment